Friday, May 1, 2009

Update on veggies and other edibles

Cut back the Ichiban eggplant drastically, to give it time to recover and maybe do something worthwhile. It was just wilting a lot like the roots couldn't support it, so I'm giving it a rest, and letting it make more roots and leaves. Hopefully, I can save it. It had fruits, but they were very small. I want those foot-long fruits like I used to get.

My baby Black Beauty eggplants are growing, and should be ready to plant out next week.

Dill is growing in 3 in. pots, and should be ready to plant out soon. New Ichiban eggplant seeds are sprouting, as are the new cilantro seeds I put in to replace those that didn't survive the winter.

I have to transplant some more yellow bellpeppers to larger pots. The two in the ground are doing very well so far, if not growing as fast as I'd like.

Pineapples are sad looking. I think they need a dose of Miracle Gro, as the manure and manure tea doesn't seem to be working very well to green them up. 
 
I think the Jaboticaba is on its last legs. What few leaves it had have dropped off, and it doesn't seem to be getting any more.  I've struggled with this plant for years, and I'm about ready to give up on it.  If I hadn't paid $30 for it, I'd have given up long ago.  I'll give it until the end of the summer, and if it hasn't come back, it's gone, no matter if it has green under the skin or not.

Same with the longan.  If it doesn't bloom this year, after 8 years in the ground, it's gone.  I do have a limit to my patience with these things.

Besides, I need space for the bananas to go somewhere other than where they are, and the spaces where these two plants are would be perfect. 

No comments: